|500||g||Cake flour (4 x 250 ml)|
|7||ml||Salt (1½ tsp)|
|5||ml||Sugar (1 tsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|30||g||Margarine (2 tbsp)|
|300||ml||Lukewarm water (approx. 1¼ cup)|
|25||ml||Cheese spread (½ cup) (optional)|
- Mix flour, salt and sugar together. Add Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Rub margarine into the flour using your fingertips. Add enough lukewarm water to form a soft dough. If the dough is too dry, add a little water.
- Knead the dough well for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic
- Roll dough out into a rectangle, 5 mm thick. Cut into strips 3 cm wide x 20 cm long, using a sharp knife.
- Spread cheese spread over the dough (optional) and wrap each strip around a vienna.
- Brush with beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C / 400 °F for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Decorate with vegetables or fruit of your choice to create racing cars.
Wrap each strip around a 3 cm thick dowel rod and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 °C / 400 °F until golden brown (about 15 minutes). Remove the dowel rod and fill the spiral with a filling of your choice. Use apricot jam, raisins and cinnamon sugar and grated chocolate for a sweet treat, or cheese spread, spinach and Feta. Add grated cheese for a delicious, savoury quick meal.