|500||g||Cake flour (4 x 250 ml / 4 cups)|
|5||ml||Sugar (1 tsp)|
|45||g||Margarine (3 tbsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|300||ml||Lukewarm water (approx. 1¼ cup)|
|1||Bunch spinach, washed and cooked|
|50||g||Grated cheese (125 ml / ½ cup)|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
- Mix all the dry ingredients together, then rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Add enough lukewarm water to form a soft dough and knead the dough well until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Knock the dough down and roll out, with a rolling pin, about 5 mm (¼ inch) thick.
- Place a saucer on top of the dough and cut out 8 circles. Place your favourite filling on the one half of each circle, wet the edge of the circle with water and fold the other half over the filling.
- Using a fork, seal the pies by pressing down around the edge of the dough. Then using the fork, make holes on top of the pie and around the edge.
- Place pies onto a greased baking tray, cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double the size, about 15 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C / 400 °F for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with melted margarine for a shiny crust.
Fillings can be changed according to your taste and the ingredients you have available. Here are some tasty suggestion
- Mix 250 ml (1 cup) chopped polony and 250 ml (1 cup) atchaar.
- Vegetables and season to taste with salt, pepper and 5 ml (1 tsp) curry powder.
- For a meat pie, add 250 ml (1 cup) of fried mince meat, together with your choice of vegetables. Season to taste.