|420||g||Cake flour (875 ml / 3½ cups)|
|5||ml||Salt (1 tsp)|
|60||ml||Sugar (4 tbsp)|
|60||g||Margarine (4 tbsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|125||ml||Lukewarm milk (½ cup)|
|1||Large egg (beaten)|
|80||ml||Lukewarm water (approx. ⅓ cup)|
|5||ml||Mixed spice (1 tsp)|
|5||ml||Cinnamon (1 tsp)|
- 200g Sugar (250ml) (1 cup)
- 125ml Water (1/2 cup)
- 5ml Cinnamon (1 tsp)
80g Coconut (250ml) (1 cup)
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix lukewarm milk and beaten egg together and add with enough lukewarm water to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough well until smooth and shiny, about 10 minutes
- Knock the dough down, divide into 10 equal large OR 20 small pieces and roll each piece into a strip, about 15cm (6 inches) long.
- Join the two ends of each strip together, seal and twist as shown in the diagram. Place the twists onto an oiled baking tray, cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double the size, about 20 – 30 minutes.
- To make the syrup, dissolved the sugar in the water, add the cinnamon and bring to the boil over low heat. Boil for 15 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Deep-fry the Koeksisters in hot oil until golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on brown paper or paper towel.
- Dip the warm Koeksisters in the syrup and roll in coconut.