|360||g||Cake flour (3 x 250 ml / 3 cups)|
|2||ml||Salt (¼ tsp)|
|60||ml||Castor sugar (¼ cup)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|3||Large eggs, beaten|
|5||ml||Vanilla essence (1 tsp)|
|125||ml||Lukewarm milk (½ cup)|
|30||ml||Cherry liqueur (2 tbsp)|
|5||ml||Aniseed (1 tsp)|
|150||g||Fruit cake mix (1 cup)|
|75||g||Mixed peel (½ cup)|
|Melted butter, to brush|
Icing sugar, to dust
- Mix the flour, salt and castor sugar together and rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix the beaten egg, vanilla, lukewarm milk and liqueur together and add to the flour mixture to form soft dough. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with greased plastic and rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down, whilst kneading in the aniseed and the fruit, until well distributed. Cover and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a round and place into a greased round 18 – 20 cm deep cake tin. (Line the sides with baking paper, to extend the height of the tin, if the tin is not deep enough).
- Cut a cross over the top of the round, cover with plastic and rise in a warm place for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Brush the top with melted butter/margarine and bake at 180 °C / 350 °F for 30 – 35 minutes. Dust with icing sugar.