|300||g||Cake flour (530 ml / 2½ cups)|
|2||ml||Salt (½ tsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|100||ml||Lukewarm milk or water (approx. ½ cup)|
|1||Large egg, beaten|
|50||ml||Lukewarm water (5 tsp)|
|60||ml||Sugar (4 tbsp)|
|5||ml||Ground cinnamon (1 tsp)|
|50||g||Chopped nuts (optional)|
|60||ml||Seedless raisins (4 tbsp)|
|60||ml||Currants (4 tbsp)|
|60||ml||Sultanas (4 tbsp)|
|60||ml||Glacé cherries (4 tbsp)|
|1||Egg, lightly beaten|
- Place the flour, salt, sugar and the Anchor Instant Yeast into a large mixing bowl. Stir through. Add the butter to the lukewarm milk and allow the butter to melt. Add the egg to the milk mixture.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, along with just enough lukewarm water to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for approximately 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Alternatively, place the dough into a mixer fitted with a dough hook and knead for 4 minutes.
- Place the dough into a greased mixing bowl and cover with plastic film. Allow the dough to rest for 15 – 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180 °C, and grease 2 large baking trays. Once the dough has rested, turn it out onto a floured surface and knock down. The dough is now ready to make the festive ring. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out into a 30 cm rectangle.
- Spread the soft butter onto the surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle the sugar, cinnamon, nuts and the remaining dried fruit over the dough.
- Roll the dough up as for a Swiss Roll. Use a sharp knife and cut the dough into 12 – 15 slices.
- Place the slices, cut side down, touching each other, to form a wreath on the baking tray.
- Cover the ring with plastic film, and allow it to rise until it has doubled in volume, about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Brush the ring with beaten egg and bake in the preheated oven for about 25 – 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven, and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Dust thickly with icing sugar and serve the same day.
Click here to view to the step-by-step illustration
As an alternative Festive Ring, roll the dough up and form into the shape of a wreath. Place onto a lined baking tray and cut 8 slits halfway through the wreath, as shown. Dust the wreath with icing sugar or drizzle with glacé icing to decorate.