|420||g||Cake flour (875 ml / 3½ cups)|
|5||ml||Salt (1 tsp)|
|60||ml||Sugar (4 tbsp)|
|60||g||Margarine (4 tbsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|80||ml||Lukewarm water (approx. ⅓ cup)|
|125||ml||Lukewarm milk (½ cup)|
|1||Large egg (beaten)|
|750||ml||Oil (1 small bottle) (for frying)|
|450||g||Jam (1 small tin) (for filling)|
|200||g||Sugar (1 cup) (to cover)|
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix lukewarm milk and beaten egg together and add with enough lukewarm water to form a soft dough. Knead the dough well until smooth and shiny, about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down, divide into 12 large OR 24 small pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
- Place the balls onto an oiled baking tray, cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double the size, about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Deep-fry the buns in hot oil until golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on brown paper or paper towel.
- Make a hole in the middle of each bun and fill the hole with two teaspoons of jam. Roll the buns in sugar.