|180||ml||Liquid honey / syrup (¾ cup)|
|160||ml||Brown sugar (⅔ cup)|
|125||g||Butter / margarine|
|620||g||Cake flour (5 cups)|
|3||ml||Salt (½ tsp)|
|3||ml||Nutmeg (½ tsp)|
|3||ml||Cinnamon (½ tsp)|
|30||ml||Ground ginger (1 tbsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|Icing, white or coloured|
|Assorted candy or gold and silver cake icing balls|
- Place the honey/syrup, brown sugar and butter/margarine in a saucepan and place on low heat to melt, whilst stirring. The sugar must dissolve. Set aside to cool down completely. Take care not to use if still too warm. Lukewarm to cold is best.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, and spices together. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry mixture and add the beaten eggs and mix well until dough is firm and smooth. Place into a bowl and cover with lightly greased plastic to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down. Divide into 4 equal pieces. Place 3 under greased plastic. Roll one piece at a time, on a lightly floured surface into 6 mm / ¼ inch thick.
- Cut 24 large or 30 small gingerbread figures with a cutter. Place onto lightly greased baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C 400 °F for 10 – 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- To decorate gingerbread men, use icing and candy to create a face. Keep cookies in an airtight container.
Gift Packaging Ideas:
- Fill a glass jar with gingerbread men. Tie a ribbon around the neck of the jar, secure with a bow and add a tag with a message, for a personal touch.
- Pack a gingerbread man into a cellophane packet. Secure with a ribbon or raffia and add a tag with a message, for a personal touch.
- Pack several gingerbread men in a small basket. Stand the basket on a large piece of cellophane. Bring the cellophane up around the basket and gather it above. Tie the gather with ribbon or raffia and add a tag with a message, for a personal touch.