|250||ml||Lukewarm water (1 cup)|
|30||ml||Oil (2 tbsp)|
|5||ml||Salt (1 tsp)|
|30||ml||Brown sugar (2 tbsp) OR|
|30||ml||Molasses, for a darker colour|
|5||ml||Caraway seeds (1 tsp)|
|360||g||Rye flour (3 cups)|
|120||g||Cake flour (1 cup)|
|7||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 stick pack)|
|Cornflour mix, to brush|
|Flour, to dust|
- Remove the pan from the bread machine.
- Make sure the paddle is in position and secure.
- Place the lukewarm water, oil, salt, brown sugar/molasses and caraway seeds into the pan.
- Add the 2 different flours and insert the pan into the bread machine.
- Make a shallow well in the flour and add the Anchor Instant Yeast
- Switch the machine on and press menu 1 – Basic setting
- Select 900 g/1 lb/1.5 lb size loaf and medium colour settings
- Check selections and press start.
- Optional: When the time indicates 1h15, open the lid and carefully cut slits, with a sharp knife, across the top of the bread. Brush lightly with the cornflour (maizena) mix. Dust lightly with flour and close lid gently.
- When the cycle is complete, remove pan and cool for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool.
Mix 20 ml cornflour and 20 ml water until smooth. Bring to boil and simmer slowly or microwave for 3 minutes until transparent. Cool and use to brush the product before baking. The result – a chewy, but crisp crust.