|500||g||Cake flour (4 x 250 ml / 4 cups)|
|10||ml||Salt (2 tsp)|
|5||ml||Sugar (1 tsp)|
|45||g||Margarine (3 tbsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|300||ml||Lukewarm water (approx. 1¼ cups)|
|125||g||Margarine (½ cup)|
|10||ml||Crushed garlic (2 tsp)|
|5||ml||Chopped parsley (1 tsp)|
- Mix all dry ingredients together, then rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Add enough lukewarm water to form a soft dough and knead the dough well until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Melt the margarine, add garlic and parsley and allow to cool slightly.
- Knock the dough down and roll out into a rectangle, 5 mm (¼ inch) thick, about 30 x 40 cm (12 x 16 inches).
- Cut the dough across the width, into 5 mm (¼ inch) strips and then cut the dough in half down the centre, about 48 strips.
- Dip each strip into the garlic butter, twist 3 times and place onto a baking tray, 8 strips slightly apart from each other. Repeat the process and place the next layer across the first layer. Continue using all the strips, alternating the direction of layers, to make about 6 layers.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200° C / 400° F for 8 – 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve by pulling the strips apart, layer-by-layer.
Twisters: Follow steps 1 to 4 for the Garlic Strip Bread. Brush the strips with water and sprinkle with Barbeque Spice, Herb Spice, Peri-Peri or coarse salt. Twist each strip 3 times and place next to one another onto a greased baking tray. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C / 400 °F for 8 – 10 minutes, or until golden brown.