|420||g||Cake Flour (3½ Cups )|
|3||ml||Salt (½ tsp)|
|125||ml||Sugar (½ Cup)|
|5||ml||Bicarbonate of Soda (1 tsp)|
|5||ml||Mixed spice (1 tsp)|
|5||ml||Cinnamon (1 tsp)|
|3||ml||Nutmeg (½ tsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|250||ml||Lukewarm water (1 Cup)|
|60||ml||Brandy (¼ Cup)|
|2||Large eggs, beaten|
|5||ml||Almond Essence (1 tsp)|
|60||ml||Mixed peel (¼ Cup) or mixed fruit cake mix|
Seedless raisins ( 125ml ) and chopped nuts ( 125ml ), cherries
and glacé fruit to decorate, sugar water glaze, to brush
Sugar Water Glaze:
Mix 125 ml(½ Cup) sugar with 60 ml (¼ Cup) water.
Bring to the boil. Cool and use to glaze.
- Mix flour, salt, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and spices together and rub the margarine in with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix the lukewarm water, beaten egg and almond essence together and add to the flour mixture to form a batter. Mix the dough well for 5 minutes until well developed.
- Cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down whilst adding the mixed peel, raisins and nuts. Work until the fruit is distributed throughout the dough.
- Place the dough into a greased 20 cm-round-cake tin, cover with greased plastic and rise in a warm place for 25 – 30 minutes. Decorate with nuts, cherries and glacé fruit.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ºC / 350 ºF for 35 – 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush top and sides with a sugar water glaze. Cool and cover well with glad wrap.