|180||g||cake flour (1 ½ cups)|
|200||g||castor sugar (250 ml/ 1 cup)|
|40||g||cocoa powder (100ml)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|80||ml||oil (⅓ cup)|
|80||ml||boiling water (⅓ cup)|
|5||large eggs, separated|
|10||ml||vanilla essence (2 tsp)|
|10||ml||baking powder (2 tsp)|
- Sift the cake flour, castor sugar and cocoa together. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Add the oil and the boiling water and mix lightly.
- Separate the eggs and beat the egg yolks and vanilla together. Add it to the flour mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and add the 5 ml baking powder. Beat again.
- Add on third of the beaten egg white to the flour mixture and stir until mixed.
- Then add the rest of the egg white and fold in gently.
- Divide the mixture into 2 greased-20-cm-cake pans or into 1 large ring pan.
- Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ºC/350 ºF for 35 – 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to rest in the pan for 5 – 10 minutes. Loosen the sides with a knife and turn out onto a wire cooling rack. Decorate as desired.
Salted Caramel Topping
Heat 250 g of castor sugar and 100 ml water in a saucepan. Simmer without stirring until the mixture changes golden brown. Remove from the heat and add 200 ml cream immediately. Stir until smooth. Add 5 ml Moldon salt flakes and 5 ml vanilla essence and set aside to cool. Coat the chocolate cake with the topping.