|360||g||Cake flour (3 x 250 ml / 3 cups)|
|5||ml||Salt (1 tsp)|
|60||ml||Sugar (4 tbsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|2||Large eggs, beaten|
|Beaten egg, to brush|
|125||g||Smooth cream cheese (½ tub)|
|100||g||Castor sugar (125 ml / ½ cup)|
|100||g||Glazed fruit (250 ml / 1 cup), chopped|
|100||g||Peacan nuts (1 packet), chopped|
|Egg, to brush|
|100||g||Sugar (250 ml / 1 cup)|
|125||ml||Water (½ cup)|
|Icing sugar, to dust (optional)|
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar together.
- Rub the butter into the mixture, keeping aside a few pieces of butter. Don’t rub in too finely to resemble breadcrumbs (should be coarse).
- Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix the water and beaten eggs together, add to the flour mixture and mix gently to form a crumbly dough.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover with greased plastic and refrigerate for 12 – 24 hours.
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling until smooth and keep cold.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to a thickness of about 5 mm, about 30 X 25 cm. (Sprinkle flour onto the work surface as well as onto the pastry, if necessary).
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the surface of the pastry. Roll the pastry up, starting with the wide side and place it with the seal towards to bottom, onto a greased baking tray.
- Measure out 2.5 cm in the middle of the dough and leave uncut. Then cut the dough on either side of the 2.5 cm right through (full length of dough). Lift the cut ends and turn cut side up to form butterfly wings.
- Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Brush gently and evenly with beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven at 180 ˚C / 350 ˚F for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water and allow the mixture to heat slowly, stirring continuosly. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes, until slightly thick.
- Brush the pastry, whilst still warm, with the glaze, for a shiny finish. Allow to cool completely and dust lightly with icing sugar.