|500||g||Cake flour (4 x 250 ml / 4 cups)|
|5||ml||Salt (1 tsp)|
|60||ml||Sugar (4 tbsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|220||ml||Lukewarm water (1cup + 2 tbsp)|
|1||Large egg, beaten|
|120||g||Baking Chocolate, melted over boiling water|
|30||ml||Cocoa powder (2 tbsp)|
|5||ml||Cinnamon (1 tsp)|
|60||ml||Honey (4 tbsp)|
Sugar Water Glaze:
Mix 250 ml (1 cup) sugar and 125 ml (½ cup) water together in a saucepan and boil over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Mix all dry ingredients and rub the margarine into the flour. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix the water and egg together and add to the flour mixture to form soft dough. Knead the dough well until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Mix the melted chocolate, cocoa, cinnamon and honey together.
- Knock the dough down and roll on a lightly floured surface, into a rectangle of35 – 40 cm in length.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the surface of the rectangle and roll up into a roll, lengthwise.
- Pinch the end together with the fingertips and turn the seal toward the bottom.
- Using a sharp knife – cut the roll down the middle, in half. Turn the cut side up. Seal the top ends together securely. Take the halves and twist the around each other. Seal the ends securely together.
- Place the Babka into a greased 1.5 litre-baking-pan. Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place, about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Brush lightly with beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven at 180 ˚C / 350 ˚F for25 – 30 minutes.
- Brush with the sugar water glaze for a shiny gloss. Cool and serve.