|500||g||Cake Flour (4 x 250 ml / 4 cups)|
|5||ml||Salt (1 tsp)|
|5||ml||Sugar (1 tsp)|
|3||ml||Cayenne Pepper (½ tsp)|
|30||ml||Chopped Onion (2 tbsp)|
|1||tin||Sweetcorn Kernels (410 g), drained|
|250||ml||Cheddar Cheese (1 cup), grated – reserve about 50 ml for the topping|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|180||ml||Warm Water (⅔ cup)|
|2||Large Eggs, beaten|
- Mix flour, salt, sugar and cayenne pepper together.
- Add the chopped onion, drained kernels and 200 ml grated cheese and mix.
- Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Dissolve the margarine in the warm water and allow to cool. The liquid must rather be too cool than too warm.
- Add the eggs and beat the mixture together
- Add the liquid to the flour mixture and mix until the ingredients are well distributed.
- Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Knock the dough down and place into a well greased cast iron pot. Even the dough out in the pot and sprinkle with the remaining 50 ml of grated cheese..
- Close the lid and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Place the pot next to the fire and arrange the prepared warm coals around the pot. Place 3 – 4 coals on the lid. Should the coals be too warm, move them further away from the pot and remove 1 from the lid. Add again, should the coals get too cold.
- Check the bread from time to time and bake for about 35 – 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes and turn out. Wrap or cover the bread in a tea towel, until ready for serving.
Allow to rise in a warm place as per above. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C / 400°F for 33 – 40 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to stand for 10 minutes and turn out. Wrap or cover the bread in a tea towel, until ready for serving.