|360||g||Cake flour (3 x 250 ml / 3 cups)|
|5||ml||Salt (1 tsp)|
|60||ml||Sugar (4 tbsp)|
|60||g||Margarine (4 tbsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|1||Large egg, beaten|
|145||ml||Lukewarm water (approx. ½ cup)|
|125||g||Margarine, melted (125 ml / ½ cup)|
|100||g||Brown sugar (125 ml / ½ cup)|
|60||ml||Honey (4 tbsp)|
|100||g||Walnuts, chopped (250 ml / 1 cup)|
|Egg, to brush|
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Add beaten egg and enough lukewarm water to form a soft dough. Knead the dough well, until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes using an electric mixer.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add honey and walnuts and mix through.
- Knock the dough down and roll into a rectangle, 5 mm (¼ inch) thick. Spread half the filling over the dough and roll the dough up, lengthwise. Using a sharp knife, slice the roll into 8 equal slices.
- Place each slice, fold side down, onto a greased baking tray. Dip the handle of a wooden spoon into flour and press each slice down in the centre, until the spirals fan out.
- Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise until double the volume, about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Brush with egg and bake in a preheated oven at 180° C / 350° F for 20 – 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with glaze.
To make Cinnamon and Almond Fans, cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy, replace honey and walnuts with 5 ml (1 tsp) cinnamon and 50 g (125 ml) (1/2 cup) flaked almonds. Follow recipe for Caramel Fans from step 5.