|500||g||Brown Bread flour (4 x 350 ml / 4 cups)|
|10||ml||Salt (2 tsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|330||ml||Lukewarm water (1⅓ cup) (⅓ warm water and ⅔ cold water)|
|15||ml||Honey (1 tbsp)|
- Mix flour and salt together. Rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix the lukewarm water and honey together and add to the flour mixture to form a soft dough. If the dough is too dry and firm, add about 10 – 20 ml extra water. The dough must be soft and pliable.
- Knead the dough well for 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Knock the dough down, press by hand, or roll out into a rectangle. The length, about 20 cm and the width – about the width of the pan.
- Roll the dough up in the width and place the roll, with the seal, towards the bottom into a lightly greased 1,5-litre-bread pan.
- Cover with greased plastic and rise in a warm place for about 30 – 35 minutes.
- Brush with water and bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C / 400 °F for 30 – 35 minutes, or until golden brown and hollow when tapped with the knuckles.
For Wholewheat Bread use 500 g Wholewheat flour and add 1½ cups (375 ml) of lukewarm water.
A variety of seeds may be added – use 30 ml of each of the following: Poppy, Sesame, Linseed, Pumpkin and Sunflower Seeds.
Add to the dry ingredients and follow the recipe as per the above.