Mother’s Day Competition 2017
Makes: 24 Doughnuts
Preparation Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Frying: Oil to fry
|500||g||Cake Flour (4 x 250 ml / 4 cups)|
|5||ml||Salt (1 tsp)|
|60||ml||Sugar (4 tbsp)|
|45||ml||Cocoa powder (3 tbsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|125||ml||Warm milk (½ cup)|
|80||ml||Cold water (⅓ cup)|
|1||Large egg, beaten|
|125||ml||Chocolate nibs (½ cup)|
|Oil, to fry|
Don't forget to
14 May 2017.
Full T&C,s available here.
Chocolate, melted – to coat:
|60||ml||Icing sugar (4 tbsp), mixed with|
|10||ml||Water – to a dripping consistency|
|A chocolate bar, own choice|
Mix all dry ingredients together and rub the margarine into the flour, with the finger tips.
Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix milk, water and beaten egg together and add the liquid to the dry ingredients to form soft dough. Knead the dough well until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down, add the chocolate nibs and work it into the dough until evenly distributed. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Flatten the balls with the palm of the hand. Use a small round cutter and cut a round into the centre.
- Place the rings on a lightly oiled baking tray, cover with greased plastic and rise in a warm place for 25 – 30 minutes.
- In the mean time, heat oil in a saucepan and once ready, fry the risen doughnuts in the warm oil, 5 minutes on the one side – turn over and fry 5 minutes on the other side. The oil must just bubble around the doughnut. If the oil is too warm the doughnut will brown quickly on the outside and remain uncooked on the inside.
- When placing the risen doughnuts into the oil, it is best to pick up the doughnut carefully and place into the oil with topside down and the bottom facing upward.
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towel. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool down.
- Once cooled. Dip the doughnuts into the melted chocolate and drain on a cooling rack. Allow the chocolate to set.
- Drizzle some melted chocolate onto a plate. Place three doughnuts on top of each other.
- Drizzle icing sugar glacé over the stacked doughnuts and allow to drip down the sides. Decorate with pieces of chocolate bar.